Faculty-led programs are study abroad programs developed and led by UNC Charlotte faculty members that typically focus on a specific subject area or foreign language. One or more faculty members travel with a group of students from UNC Charlotte and teach one or more courses in the location abroad. Students receive predetermined UNC Charlotte credit for the course(s) taken abroad. By design, faculty-led programs integrate many group activities into their curriculum and provide a very structured, enriching international experience.
Benefits of Faculty-led Programs:
- Typically short-term (spring break or summer)
- UNC Charlotte equivalent credit is already specified - you are taking an actual UNC Charlotte course, just abroad
- Students travel with a group of their peers and a UNC Charlotte faculty member(s)
- Great way to get to know a UNC Charlotte faculty member(s) outside of the classroom
- Great first step for more timid students interested in study abroad who are looking for a cohort-type program
Program locations, deadlines, and course offerings vary from program to program and from year to year, so please check our website frequently for updates and read each brochure carefully.
Notes on Eligibility:
- Program GPA requirements and any major or class standing restrictions (if applicable) are indicated in the program brochure.
- The "Area of Study" listed under the Fact Sheet for a program indicates the type of course credit to be received for the program - it does NOT necessarily indicate that the program is restricted to students in that major.
- The "Academics" and/or "Overview" tab of the brochure will provide information on any applicable major restrictions, prerequisites, etc.
- It may be possible to participate in a faculty-led program the semester you intend to graduate.
- Spring break programs: grades are processed as usual just like any other spring course.
- Summer programs: please communicate with the faculty director and the OEA before completing the study abroad application if you intend to graduate over the summer.
Application Deadlines and Availability
|Final Application Deadlines|
|Faculty-Led Spring Break||October - November (varies - check program brochure)|
|Faculty-Led Summer||January - March (varies - check program brochure)|
Applications for Faculty-Led Spring Break 2017 programs are no longer being accepted at this time.
Check back here beginning Fall 2017 for information on which faculty-led spring break study abroad programs will be offered in 2018!
Applications for Faculty-Led Summer 2017 programs are no longer being accepted at this time.
Check back here beginning Fall 2017 for information on which faculty-led summer study abroad programs will be offered in 2018!
Choose from one of the buttons below to begin your search for faculty-led programs!