Overview of Faculty-Led Programs
Faculty-led programs are study abroad programs developed and led by UNC Charlotte faculty members that typically focus on a specific subject area or foreign language. One or more faculty members travel with a group of students from UNC Charlotte and teach one or more courses in the location abroad. Students receive predetermined UNC Charlotte credit for the course(s) taken abroad. By design, faculty-led programs integrate many group activities into their curriculum and provide a very structured, enriching international experience.
- Program offerings vary from year to year - what was offered last year may not be offered this year
- Program offerings are published and applications open on the OEA website beginning in the Fall of each school year
- Program costs, application requirements, and deadlines vary from program to program - always review each online program brochure carefully for details
Benefits of Faculty-Led Programs
- Typically short-term (spring break or summer)
- UNC Charlotte equivalent credit is already specified - you are taking an actual UNC Charlotte course, just abroad
- Students travel with a group of their peers and a UNC Charlotte faculty member(s)
- Great way to get to know a UNC Charlotte faculty member(s) outside of the classroom
- Great first step for more timid students interested in study abroad who are looking for a cohort-type program
- GPA requirements and any major or class standing restrictions will vary and are indicated in the program brochure
- The "Courses Offered" listed under the Fact Sheet on a program brochure simply indicates the type of course credit to be received for the program
- This does not necessarily indicate that the program is restricted to students within that course major
- All students are required to be in good academic and disciplinary standing at time of application and prior to departure in order to be permitted to go abroad
- 2018 Faculty Led Spring Break Program applications are here! Be sure to review the spring break program information and program brochures carefully before submitting an application.
- 2018 Faculty Led Summer programs will be posted in the next few weeks. Check our website frequently to learn when 2018 Faculty Led Summer programs have been published.
Faculty or staff interested in leading a short-term program will need to submit a program proposal by the applicable deadline. Please contact the Office of Education Abroad if you have any questions about leading a short-term program.