Benjamin A. Scholarship Overview
If you are a federal pell grant recipient (not sure? Check with Office of Financial Aid), then it is HIGHLY recommended that you apply for the Gilman scholarship. Award amounts range from $2,000 to $8,000! While this national scholarship is competitive, we have UNC Charlotte students receive it almost every semester!
- U.S. citizens
- Good academic and disciplinary standing
- Recipients of the Federal Pell Grant (or will be at time of program abroad)
- Be approved by the Office of Education Abroad to participate in corresponding study abroad program
- Program must be at least 3 weeks in length and cannot be in a country listed on the U.S. Department of State's travel warning list
Refer to Gilman's website regarding further eligibility requirements for more information
- Students are required to submit an online application on Gilman's website and;
- Students must also have an application open with OEA (do not have to be approved/accepted) in order to have Gilman application (above) certified by an advisor
OEA Gilman Workshops
Each semester prior to the student submission deadline, the Office of Education Abroad holds several workshops designed to give students an overview of the Gilman scholarship application process and provide tips on how to have the most competitive application possible.
At this time, no further OEA Gilman Workshops are being offered. Students looking to apply for the Summer 2018 or Fall 2018 Gilman scholarship will have another opportunity to attend an OEA workshop in February. Check back here in January to see when they will be offered.