There are many scholarships offered by different academic departments on campus that can be applied to study abroad programs. To learn more about these scholarship opportunities, eligibility requirements, application requirements and deadlines, students will need to log into NinerScholars Portal.
Please note that scholarships will only appear in your NinerScholars Portal if:
- You meet the eligibility requirements of the scholarship
- If the scholarship is being offered that year
If you are a transfer student starting at UNC Charlotte in the fall semester, the OEA scholarships will only appear if you established a 3.0 or higher GPA at the end of the Fall semester in December.
The following scholarships, if offered the semester or year you are looking to go abroad, may be found in NinerScholars Portal:
- Belk College of Business Knapp Family International Study Endowed Scholarship
- This scholarship was established in honor of Herman and Carole Knapp to recognize the academic achievement of Belk College of Business students seeking to study abroad. Funding for this award was made possible by the generosity of Michael H. Knapp, UNC Charlotte Alumnus '90.
- Delbridge E. Narron Travel Fund
- This fund supports travel outside the United States for the Delbridge E. Narron Scholarship recipient. In the event that Delbridge E. Narron Scholarship recipient does not plan to travel abroad, other rising junior or rising senior Honors students may be awarded these funds. Recipient is encouraged to enroll in a formal study abroad program where college credit is earned; this is not, however, a requirement for the use of these funds. Students apply in the spring. Award amount: $2,000.
- Dr. Judith Suther Scholarship
- This scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to students pursuing study in French for a semester or study abroad program. Funding for this award was made possible by the generosity of Joe Marchucci. Award amount: $500
- German Language and Culture Foundation (GLCF) Scholarship
- The German Language and Culture Foundation aims to fund projects that will help create long-term friendships and promote a better understanding between the people of Germany and the Charlotte region. German Majors with a 2.0 GPA or higher applying to this program are eligible to receive a $2,000.00 scholarship offered by the German Language and Culture Foundation of Charlotte to support their study at approved German programs. Currently this includes the Goethe Institute or the International summer University at Kassel University. Recipients may use the scholarship to offset the cost of tuition and housing during a 4 or 8-week program. To find out more about these programs, please refer to Ein Sommer in Deutschland mit Goethe brochure or the International Summer University Kassel brochure. Please refer to the scholarship brochure for more information and to apply.
- Harper-Thomas Legacy Endowed Scholarship for Study Abroad
- This scholarship was established in honor of Dr. Mary Harper and Dr. Herman Thomas's contributions as professors at UNC Charlotte. Funding will be used to support study abroad experiences for students in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. Award Amount: $1,000.
- June Alkire Model UN Travel Scholarship
- This scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to students participating in the International Conferences sponsored by UNC Charlotte's Model United Nations Program. Award Amount: $1,000
- Languages and Culture Studies Scholarship
- This scholarship was established to provide financial support to students majoring in French, German, Japanese or Spanish and seeking to participate in an education abroad experience. Funding for this award was made possible by the generosity of various donors. Award amount: $500
- Ruff-Lansen Study Abroad Scholarship
- The purpose of this scholarship is to provide scholarship assistance to an undergraduate student within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in pursuit of a semester or year-long study abroad experience (an extended summer term abroad may be considered) that focuses on historical inquiry and/or skill development (broadly defined). The study abroad experience chosen must be approved by the Office of Education Abroad.
- School of Architecture Summer Study Abroad Scholarship
- This scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to School of Architecture students pursuing one of the School of Architecture's summer study abroad programs. Award Amount: $500
- School of Architecture Summer Study Abroad Graduate Scholarship
- This scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to School of Architecture graduate students pursuing one of the School of Architecture's summer study abroad programs. Award Amount: $500
- University Honors Program Study Abroad Scholarship
- This scholarship provides supplemental funding to a full-time enrolled University Honors Program student studying abroad. Application is open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors. Preference is given to full year or semester study abroad. Award amount: $500
Other UNC Charlotte Scholarships
The scholarships below are offered by Academic Departments on campus, but are not listed in NinerScholars Portal. Please see more information below on how to apply.
- Aliaga-Buchenau Study Abroad Scholarship
- The Aliaga-Buchenau Scholarship is intended to support students who study abroad in regions of the world where they may explore themes related to Social Justice and Human Rights. Please refer to the scholarship brochure for more information on the eligibility requirements and instructions on how to apply.
- The Belk College of Business Scholarships for Study Abroad
- Students with a declared major in the Belk College of Business are considered for this scholarship only after their study abroad application is approved. Students selected for an award receive communication from the Belk College directly with further instructions.