About the OEA Scholarships
There are 6 different OEA scholarships that may have different eligibility requirements. Students who are eligible for more than one are able to apply for more than one, but students are only eligible to receive 1 OEA scholarship. Please see below:
- Dale F. Halton International Study Scholarship
- This merit-based scholarship is intended to encourage UNC Charlotte's best undergraduate students to have an academic experience abroad. This scholarship offers financial assistance to UNC Charlotte students in hopes of strengthening our mission to internationalize the student body. The award amount is $1,000.00.
- Harold Josephson Scholarship for International Study
- This merit-based scholarship, established in honor of former Associate Vice-Chancellor for International Programs Harold Josephson, is awarded to an outstanding undergraduate from any UNC Charlotte college. The award amount is $1,000.00.
- Mary & Tom Martz Scholarship
- This merit-based scholarship is designed to promote understanding of humanity via art and immersion in another culture. Applicants must be studying art in France (with a preference to students studying in Paris) in order to be considered. The scholarship is open to undergraduate or graduate students studying art in France. The award amounts are between $1,000-$1,400.
- Nell & Fred Figge Scholarship for International Study
- This merit-based scholarship is designed to assist undergraduate students with a demonstrated financial need to fund an education abroad program. Applicants must provide documentation of demonstrated financial need. The award amount is $1,000.
- Robert J. Mundt Memorial Scholarship for International Study
- This merit-based scholarship is intended to defray costs associated with a study abroad experience. Any full-time graduate or undergraduate UNC Charlotte student is eligible for this scholarship. The award amount is $1,000.
- William Wilson Brown, Jr. Latin American Studies Scholarship Fund:
- This merit-based scholarship is designed to encourage undergraduate or graduate study in Latin America or Spain. Students in any major or minor will be considered for this award. The award amount is $1,000.
- Odyssean Study Abroad Scholarship
- This scholarship is awarded by the Office of Education Abroad. It is open to all majors, but restricted to undergraduates only at the sophomore, junior or senior level. Students must be full-time at time of application and while abroad. The minimum GPA requirement is 3.25. This scholarship is only applicable to students participating in a fall, spring or year study abroad program for academic credit. This scholarship is geared towards student who have a high financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.
OEA Scholarship Application Cycles
Each year the deadline to apply for an OEA Scholarship is on February 15th. Scholarship awards can then only be utilized the following Summer, Fall or Spring semester following the deadline.
- Deadline: February 15, 2018
- Applicable to students studying abroad Summer 2018, Fall 2018 or Spring 2019
The study abroad program a student applies for must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to be awarded an OEA Scholarship. The program must:
- Award academic credit
Unfortunately, the OEA Scholarship cannot be applied to Faculty-Led Fall Break or Spring Break programs.
Students must meet the following requirements at time of application
- Undergraduate or Graduate (depending on OEA Scholarship)
- Full-time student at UNC Charlotte
- 3.0 GPA minimum cumulative UNC Charlotte GPA (note that the Odyssean scholarship requires a 3.25)
- In good disciplinary standing
- Completion of Study Abroad 101
Students must meet the following requirements prior to departure and while abroad:
- Remain in good disciplinary standing
- Maintain the equivalent of full-time status at UNC Charlotte while abroad
How to Apply
- Log into NinerScholar Portal
- A list of the OEA scholarships (described below) will appear based on your student information (e.g. GPA, major, etc.)
Note: If you do not meet the GPA eligibility requirements, the OEA scholarships will not appear in NinerScholars Portal. If you are a transfer student starting at UNC Charlotte in the fall semester, the OEA scholarships will only appear if you established a 3.0 or higher GPA at the end of the Fall semester in December.
Disbursal of OEA Scholarship
The OEA scholarship will be disbursed at the beginning of the semester the student will be abroad on the same calendar that financial aid at UNC Charlotte is disbursed (regardless of whether or not the scholarship recipient is also a financial aid recipient). The OEA scholarship cannot be disbursed early for any reason and regardless of the student's program start date. The OEA scholarship will be applied to the balance on the recipient's student account at UNC Charlotte (if appliable). If there is no balance on the recipient's student account, it will then be disbursed to the student directly through direct deposit or in the form of a refund check.
Recipients of the OEA scholarship
Recipients of an OEA Scholarship will complete the following requirements:
Prior to Departure:
- 'Thank You' letter addressed to the Donor of the Scholarship you were awarded
Upon Return to UNC Charlotte:
- 2 photo submissions taken while abroad
- 1 reflection essay
- Volunteer hours with the Office of Education Abroad