The OEA offers several workshops throughout the program development and implementation process in order to relay necessary information to Faculty Directors leading programs. Fauclty are highly encouraged to participate in the workshops each year they lead a program in order to stay up to date on process and policy changes.
Program Development Workshop
The Office of Education Abroad holds informational workshops each semester for UNC Charlote faculty members who are interested in learning how to develop a short-term study abroad program.
- Importance of short term programming
- Faculty and OEA responsibilities
- Program considerations
- Program design
- Program implementation
Please join us to learn more about how you can lead a group of students abroad. We ask that interested faculty please RSVP using our online form so that we can plan accordingly.
- Friday, November 16th from 1-3pm via Webinar
Program Confirmation Webinar
This webinar is held just after a program is confirmed to run. We will address the next steps for implementing your program and the timeline for preparing for departure.
- Overview of the Faculty Director Requirements materials in the portal
- Where to find helpful resources in the portal
- How to look up student information in the portal
- Reminders of what to do now to prepare your program
- Spring & Spring Break 2019 Programs: Monday, November 19th at 2:30pm via webinar
- Summer 2019 Programs: TBD
Program Administration Workshop
This workshop provides guidance on some of the most important components of leading and managing a program abroad, including your responsibilities as a Faculty Director, emergency response and risk management protocols, program finances and budgetary procedures, addressing student issues, and responsibilities to the University upon return from the the program.
Faculty Directors who have not attended this workshop in the last 2 years are required to attend this workshop. Faculty who have attended the workshop in the last 2 years are welcome and encouraged to come again.
- Sessions are TBD
Program Launch Webinar
This webinar is held just after a program application cycle is launched and begins accepting applications. The purpose of the webinar to assist Fauclty Directors in preparing for the recruitment and application review phase of the program process.
- Where to direct students on the website and in the program brochure for vital information about your program.
- The application process from the student perspective
- Faculty Director Workshops for the fall
- Study Abroad Fair information
- Spring 2019 Programs: Friday, August 24th 12-1pm via webinar
- Summer 2019 Programs: Friday, September 21st 12-1pm via webinar
Navigating the OEA Portal
This workshop is held in two parts depending on the phase the program is in. Part 1 is held during the recruitment phase and focuses on how to review applications, follow up with students about completing their applciations, how students move through the online application system. Part 2 is held after the program is confirmed and focuses on how to access student information in the system, creating reports, and completing Faculty Director Requirements.
Part 1 Sessions
- Thursday, September 20th 11:30am-12:45pm via webinar (RESCHEDULED)
- Friday, October 26th from 1:30-2:30 pm, CHHS 207 (RESCHEDULED)
Part 2 Sessions
- Sessions are TBD
Marketing and Recruiting for Faculty Led Programs
Recruiting for study abroad is a daunting task, but is critical to the success of a program. This workshop covers tips and tricks for successfully recruiting for your study abroad program including statitics on programs, how to talk about the value and benefits of study abroad, online marketing tools, and creative ideas for getting the word out. This workshop is meant for both new and veteran faculty alike.
- Why recruit?
- Know your audience
- Framing the converstaion
- Dispelling myths
- Online marketing tools (e.g. Canva, Flickr, Mailchimp)
- Advice and resources
- Creative ideas for getting the word out