what is an oea presentation?
One of the best ways to spread the word about study abroad is by word of mouth. The Office of Education Abroad would be more than happy to send an OEA staff member to come speak to your classroom or group and provide your students with more information about frequently asked questions and instructions on how to get started.
What Information is Covered?
The information that is covered is general. This is because there are over 1,000+ program options to choose from and each program will vary in terms of the eligibility and application requirements, how academic credit works, cost structure & estimated costs and more. OEA Staff will generally cover the following topics:
- Where & when you can go
- General eligibility requirements
- General overview of program types
- Money matters (including financial aid & scholarships)
- Language barriers
- Health & safety
- Next steps
Please note because of the volume of programs, program types, students with more than one major and different motivations for going abroad & information associated with studying abroad, the OEA is unable to go into specifics regarding programs that are best for specific majors or minors.
It's recommended that you opt for the standard format if time allows, as this is the maximum length of time we are able to accommodate and allows us to be the most informative and interactive with your group:
- Length: 45 minutes
- Format: Online interactive polling
- Technology Needed: Computer, internet & projector
- Staff: 1 OEA Staff or Intern + 1 currently enrolled UNC Charlotte student who has studied abroad (as long as a student volunteer can be secured for that date and time)
If you are in need to shorten the presentations to less than 45 minutes or address a particular topics, the OEA will review the request and provide accommodations when and where possible.
Other Information Information
- The OEA asks that the student, faculty or staff member who requests the presentation remains present throughout the entire duration
- Once the date, start time and end time of the presentation is confirmed, please understand that the presenter will only be available within this time frame. We ask that you do not continue with class activities to delay the start time of the presentation as many times we have back to back presentations and will not be able to delay
- It is recommended that you have our presentations begin at th start of your class time instead of occurring in the middle or end
- The presenter will either be an OEA staff member or OEA intern. Due to the high volume of requests and limited staff, we also have our interns, who receive extensive training, present on our behalf
Request an OEA Presentation
It is recommended that you submit your request at least 30 days in advance. Requests submitted less than 2 weeks may not be able to be confirmed due to limited staff. Please note that the request form below will ask you for 2 different dates & times that would work for your class or group: We cannot guarantee we will be able to accommodate your first choice date and time, but will do our very best to work with you! Additionally, note that we typically have a high volume of requests for the months of October and November and requests are confirmed on a first-come, first-served basis.
To request an OEA presentation, please complete the Request a Presentation Google Form here.
Please note completion of this form does not confirm your presentation; you will be contacted by OEA staff to confirm the date and time of the presentation you requested, typically within 2-3 business days after the request is received. Please pay special attention to the confirmation email as it will outline the date and time of your presentation. If you would like the OEA to present for more than one of your class sections or groups, please submit multiple request forms as needed for each individual presentation or email email@example.com for complex requests.