Immigration Documents

In addition to having a valid passport, it may be possible that a student needs to apply for an additional immigration document, such as a visa or residence permit. The immigration process can be complex, time consuming and is ultimately the responsibility of the student. It's highly recommended that students determine whether or not an immigration document such as a visa or residence permit is required for their host country well before applying to the OEA. 

In addition to a valid passport, you may or may not need a visa or residence permit to enter a given country. 

If you are still researching and deciding on program options, whether or not you will need a visa and the related cost for a particular location is an important factor to consider when determining your study abroad budget and choosing a program. It is extremely important that you thoroughly research visa policies for each destination or country of interest. 

Students are encouraged to research all information associated with the entry and exit requirements of each destination or country of interest before choosing a program, so that when they are approved and/or accepted to study abroad, they can begin the visa application process immediately. However, students should NOT apply for a visa (if applicable) until they have been approved by the UNC Charlotte Office of Education Abroad (OEA) to study abroad, have been accepted into the program by the host university or program provider (if applicable), and have received information on their next steps from the OEA. 


A visa/residence permit is an entirely different document from a passport. A visa or residence permit is an immigration document issued by a host country granting approval from the host government for you to enter and stay in country for a specified period of time for a specific purpose. They are not granted nor authorized by your country of citizenship.

Visas are usually obtained in advance of travel, while residence permits are typically obtained once abroad. Not all countries will require a visa, and not all students need to obtain one prior to departure. The visa is usually a sticker or stamp that is affixed inside of your passport.

It is each student's responsibility to research the entry & exit requirements of the host country goverment before applying to go abroad. The Office of Education Abroad cannot advise on immigration requirements on behalf of a host country government, to include answering questions or interpreting embassy websites. Additionally, the OEA cannot apply for immigration documents such as a visa on students' behalf.

Immigration policies and procedures are subject to change often and without notice. UNC Charlotte and the Office of Education Abroad cannot be held responsible if the student does not apply for the proper immigration document prior to departure or on-site. Additionally, UNC Charlotte and the OEA cannot be held responsible if the student applies for the proper immigration document and receives denial (although extremely rare).

Entry & exit requirements, such as the need to obtain a visa, will vary widely by such factors as:

  • Destination country
  • Traveler's citizenship
  • Where the traveler was born
  • Reason for travel to the country (i.e. study vs. work, unpaid vs. paid work)
  • The duration of stay in the country

Given this, it is possible that you may need a visa to enter your country while someone else doing the same program as you may not need one - it is very important that students research entry requirements based on their individual situation.

U.S. Citizens

  • Go to
  • Click "Find International Travel Information"
  • Enter the host country in the "Learn about your destination" field on the right
  • Read all information on this page (be sure to expand each section heading)
  • Read the information listed under the "Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements" heading carefully. You should see a link to the host country embassy with more information regarding these requirements
  • Repeat for any other destination or country of interest

Non U.S. Citizens​

  • Consult the embassy/consulate of your home and the destination country(ies) for visa requirements and processes, and to see if you will need any supporting documentation from UNC Charlotte to enter that country
  • Consult with the International Students and Scholars Office at UNC Charlotte to:
    • Ensure you will be authorized to reenter the U.S. following the program
    • Obtain a travel authorization signature if necessary
    • Explore other resources
  • Should you need to obtain a visa to study in your host country, you need to begin the process immediately after the OEA has approved you to study abroad AND given you information on your next steps
  • You will need a VALID passport to apply for a visa. It takes weeks to receive a passport after applying for one. Review the passports page carefully and ensure you leave yourself ample time to apply and receive both your passport and your visa well before departure
  • It can take anywhere from days to months to receive your visa after applying. Apply as soon as possible once you are approved to study abroad and have been given information on your next steps
  • Not every country requires a visa for U.S. citizens; requirements and policies will often differ for non-U.S. citizens. Do your research in advance so you know what is or is not required of you
  • Keep in mind that some countries may require you to travel and submit your visa paperwork in person. Plan accordingly for a potentially long trip
  • You often need to mail or leave your passport with the consulate/embassy as part of the visa process. In this case, either the consulate/embassy will mail it back to you along with your visa, or you will need to return to pick up your passport and visa in person
    • This means that you need to be prepared to go without your passport for several weeks after submitting your visa application
  • Follow all visa application instructions CAREFULLY. Applications can be rejected for things as little as using the wrong color ink, or for paper-clipping forms instead of stapling. Avoid delays by following all instructions correctly the first time
  • If you do need a visa, you may want to consider working with a visa processing agency. While they charge a fee, these types of companies can often help facilitate and smooth the application process. The OEA does not endorse a particular company, but can suggest a couple companies for you to research:

In most cases, students cannot apply for a visa more than 90 days in advance of their travel. However, do not leave it until the last minute - processing can take several weeks after you submit your application. You will need to leave yourself ample time to complete the visa process, especially if you have to first apply for a new/renewed passport (which also takes several weeks).

Letter from the OEA

Some immigration document applications may require a letter from the student's home university asking for proof of enrollment, confirming approval to study abroad or confirming enrollment in international health insurance. The OEA is happy to provide this letter for student's upon request

requirements & Timeframe

The OEA will only produce letters for students who have received approved from the OEA to go abroad. In order to process the request, we will need your valid passport information uploaded to your OEA application as part of your Pre-Departure Requirements.

After submitting the request, student's should allow at least 2-3 business days for processing. Please do not request this letter the same day you have to submit your application documents to the consulate or embassy.

Request a Letter from the OEA

Please complete the Letter for Immigration Request Google Form here. You must be logged into your UNC Charlotte Google Account on your browser to access this form. Once the letter is submitted, it is then a 2-3 business day processing time before you will be sent the letter via email (if requested) and/or notified your letter is ready for pickup.