Couldn't find what you were looking for on our other pages? Check out our frequently asked questions about the application process.
This depends on the program type:
- UNC Charlotte Exchange: Students apply to their first choice host university and are able to list a back up university (from the list of UNC Charlotte exchange partners) in their application
- Statewide Exchange: Students apply to their first choice host university and are able to list a back up university (from the list of BW/NC host universities) in their application
- ISEP Exchange: Students apply to their first choice host university and are able to list up to nine additional back up universities (from the list of ISEP exchange partners) in their application in priority order
- Affiliate Provider, Direct Enrollment, Internships Abroad: Students are only eligible to apply to one affiliate provider program for the term they go abroad. This is for the student's benefit, as all affiliate providers charge application fees that are a few hundred dollars
Faculty-Led: Students can apply to multiple programs, but whether or not they may participate in more than one in a given term depends on the program dates. Students will pay a non-refundable application fee for each application they submit
All OEA applications will require:
- An application fee
- Official or unofficial UNC Charlotte transcript
- Personal statement
- Disciplinary record check (automatically checked by the Dean of Students at time of submission)
- Documents that applicants must electronically sign stating their understanding and agreement to OEA procedures and policies
- 1-2 academic letters of recommendation
- Foreign language evaluation
Approval and review timelines will vary by program type. Many of our programs offer rolling admissions and you can expect to hear from the OEA within a couple weeks of submitting your application. However, some programs require supplemental applications to a host institution or provider, and official acceptances from those organizations may take longer. Please visit the Deadlines and Approval Timelines section of this site for more information.